Donations through websites, social media and apps now account for £26 in £100 in the UK, and 62% of donors worldwide prefer to give online. This isn’t surprising, especially coupled with the fact that millennials are nearly twice as likely to donate to charity than those ages 55+. How do you reach that younger demographic and how exactly would you encourage them to support your cause?
In November 2015, Givergy decided to create a platform to help charities fundraise 365 days a year online in order to achieve just that, while also offering an alternative way to utilise their donated auction items outside of traditional fundraising events.
Say hello to Givergy.com!
Givergy.com gives the public the chance to win high-profile, money-can’t-buy items and experiences by taking part in online auctions. It also allows users to enter prize draws or purchase ‘buy it now’ items while making a real difference to the causes they are in aid of. This effective global online offering helps charities reach a wider audience, maximise global awareness and raise more for their fantastic causes.
Since launching in November 2015 we’ve supported over 100 charities, raised over £1 million for their causes and had over 1 million unique visitors to the site!
Ok, so that’s easy enough, but how do you obtain incredible money-can’t-buy experiences?
Ask your supporters and ambassadors! As the team from Comic Relief said, “If you don’t ask, you don’t get!” It doesn’t necessarily need to be something that will require a huge amount of their time - think outside of the box. A prize draw for a 30-minute Skype call with Gillian Anderson raised in excess of £9,800!
Now that you’ve got your amazing prize and you’re ready to put it online to reach the entire world, how exactly do you get your campaign out to the right audience?
The Givergy marketing team cover this for you; we feature items in a weekly email to our ever-expanding database, as well as post and advertise across social media and Google AdWords. For those real star items, we also have an external PR agency on hand who will reach out to the press and social influencers to expand the reach of your prize!
Case Study: Comic Relief’s Red Nose Day campaign
Comic Relief held their ‘Best Auction Ever’ on Givergy.com in March 2017 to raise funds for Red Nose Day. The campaign was a huge success, raising £384,580 for their cause! The Red Nose Day team have shared a number of valuable tips and tricks on how to make the most out of your fundraising campaign on Givergy:
- Have a good mix of items that appeal to a wide range of interests and different demographics.
- Run auctions AND prize draws simultaneously, allowing people with deep pockets as well as smaller budgets to support your cause.
- Get real money-can’t-buy or quirky experiences you wouldn’t find anywhere else… A return trip to LA to meet James Corden raised £20,000 and a spray tan with Claudia Winkleman raised just under £3,000!
- Get support from the celebrities involved in the experiences and ask them to share on their own social channels. Importantly, build this into your agreement upfront.
- Utilise your own marketing team to ensure that your current supporters know about the campaign and update a wider audience via social media.
Their biggest tip to takeaway is ask! Ask for prizes, ask for help and ask for support. ‘If you ask, you don’t get!’ shared Rosie Baker, Marketing Manager, Comic Relief.
Fundraising with Givergy couldn’t be simpler! It’s a quick and easy process to get your campaign up and running, with a dedicated Account Manager on hand from start to finish. If you’d like to be featured on the site, please get in touch!