Did you know you now can collect donations direct from Facebook? While this function isn’t necessarily new, rumour has it that many charities still haven’t yet utilized this feature, which makes it easier than ever for supporters to give without leaving Facebook.
If you’re already set up you’re in luck! Facebook is offering you to nearly double your donations this #GivingTuesday (November 28, 2017) in 3 ways.
1. Partner with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to match up to $2 million in donations that are made on Facebook to eligable U.S. based 501(c)(3) nonprofits.
2. Waive all fees on donations that are made to eligable U.S. based 501(c)(3) nonprofits on Facebook from 12:00 AM EST on November 28, 2017 to 11:59 PM HST on November 28, 2017.
3. Match up a total of £200,000 in donations that are made on Facebook to nonprofits based in the United Kingdom. (There are currently no fees for donations that are made to U.K nonprofits on Facebook).
Facebook normally takes a fee of 5% and you’ll receive funds into your account every two weeks once you meet the minimum threshold of $100 USD. For full details on how to get your donations matched on Facebook click here.
The Facebook donation feature also allows individuals to fundraise on a charity’s behalf. Supporters can set up a dedicated page to share their story and fundraising goal, and donations go directly to the charity of choice. Utilizing the power of the social network and video, once someone donates they are encouraged to share, ultimately gaining more donations through the power of social influence.
The tool has already been a huge success in the US since launching in November 2015 and became available to the UK and other European countries in September 2017.
For those of you not yet set up the good news is it’s really simple to integrate the tool into your charity or nonprofit’s Facebook page! Simply go to facebook.com/donate/signup to get started. Before your organization can collect donations on Facebook, the following 3 steps need to be completed.
1. Your page must be submitted and approved for verification (Note, this typically can take 2-3 weeks to review your application).
2. Your page must follow Facebook's community standards.
3. You must provide a bank account to collect donations on Facebook.
Here are some more ideas on how to make the most out of this year’s #GivingTuesday.